My format of contact with the authors would probably be an interview or discussion more so than a direct letter. The questions I want to ask span across the wealth of feminist science-fiction authors we have discussed in class.
– What biologic and technologic devices have helped you challenge gender and sexuality across your works?
– Do you deliberately set out to challenge preconceptions of gender when you write your works, or does it come out naturally as a result of your personality/values/beliefs?
– What relationships have you had with your fans? With fanfiction?
And then the questions pertaining to my personal projects would be directed to Ursula K. Le Guin, Pamela Sargent & Kate Wilhelm:
– Why cloning?
– How does cloning shift the power dynamics of society in your works?
– What are the gendered implications do your cloning narratives?
Finally, because of the absence of Pamela Sargent correspondences in the archives, I would ask:
– What was/is your relationship to other authors of the science-fiction community?